I haven't blogged much, but I've been inspired by others and been busy sewing and using up a lot of my scraps. My quilt guild has a very active comfort quilt program, and 5 of these quilts will be donated.
This woven quilt with 4" squares was inspired by Cynthia's scrap-a-palooza quilt gallery.
I had a pile of colorful chevron fabric samples and I didn't want to cut them up. Using them as 8" blocks and sashing with different black and white prints created a fun quilt for a girl or a boy.
Cynthia's orphan quilts inspired me to put this collection together into a quilt top. It's quilted, but still needs the binding. A friend gave me a bag with the six animal panels, the red and yellow rectangles (cut rather unevenly), three finished blocks and 1.5 yards of the folkloric fabric. I found other orphan blocks in my stash and in those donated by guild members.
Jackie Kunkle visited our guild and held a workshop making the Hip to be Squares quilt from her Splash of Color book. This quilt uses the leftovers from that quilt, and I'm keeping it to gift to a friend.
In December, my guild provides quilts for each of the children living in a nearby transitional housing facility. This year there are 30 kids aged from 10 months to 15 years. We try to match the quilts we have to their ages and interests. I saw on the list a 13-year-old girl was wishing for purple and pink room decor. I couldn't resist pulling out my small pieces of purple and pink fabrics for this quilt. Of course, I had more than enough purple and pink in my stash, so I cut enough for a second quilt which I will make at another time. Perhaps I'll try sashing the blocks in white for a different look, but I thought black was good for a young teen.
Finally, this panel was easy to make into a quick quilt for a little girl, I just added polka dot fabrics at the top and bottom.
Linking up with Oh Scrap where I am always inspired by others!
4 comments:
Wow, have you been busy! I like all of your colorful, scrappy quilts. I've been inspired by Cynthia's quilts a lot myself! Your orphan block quilt is beautiful!
You are an inspiration yourself to motivate me with Project Linus Quilts. Cynthia has some really easy Quilts. Your pink and purple ColorWorks quilt and all of them are fun. I especially like the Hip one and will put it on my Someday list.
Thanks for the inspiration. You have some great quilts there.
What an inspiring post. Your quilts are all beautiful and obviously filled with love. The woven quilt makes me want to make another one for myself. That pattern is a favorite! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!
(I wish I could see your orphan block in person. There is always so much to see in those.)
Post a Comment