Sunday, August 5, 2018

Sewing From Stash

I've had lots of sewing time this summer and I continue to try and sew from my stash. After a series of graduation quilts this spring, this summer I'm sewing this and that, mostly for charity. The lid on my batik bin would not close, so I made this quilt inspired by the Bermuda Sunrise pattern. I made my blocks 12", adding half blocks along the sides for a rectangular quilt. Our guild gives quilts to new Habitat for Humanity homeowners, this is a nice gender neutral quilt for that program. The lid on the bin closes now, but I'm sure I could make several more quilts from it.



This orphan block quilt started with the four house blocks in the middle. When I helped our guild's comfort quilt team sort through some donations, these blocks came home with me. This and that from other projects easily filled the other rows.



When I was making the orphan block quilt, I added a row of scrappy blue rails across the top. Looking at my bulging blue scrap bag, I decided to try to empty the bag. Usually an impossible task for me! After making 108 six inch blocks, the bag is very close to empty and I like the look of this scrappy top. Of course, as I look around my sewing room I have found more blue scraps to start refilling the bag.



I continue to be inspired by so many scrappy project shared by others, hope I give someone else a few ideas. Linking up to Oh Scrap where there are always great ideas to try!



7 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have wonderful ideas for scrappy quilts! Thanks for the inspiration!

Deb A said...

Such wonderful scrappy quilts! Love the blue ones......

PaulaB quilts said...

The Sunrise quilt is lovely, so subtle with those batiks. I love doing row Quilts because you can include so many different things, and no matching seams!

Many Hands and Many Hearts said...

So much scrappy goodness in this post! Great job getting those bins to close. That is how I decide what color scraps to work on too. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Chantal said...

Who ever said that scrap quilts are boring haven't seen these quilts. I love the first one big time. It pulled me in. The row quilt is so cheerful, can't help myself but smile. Since blue is my favorite color I would be hard press to choose which one I like best. Congratulations on these wonderful finishes. ;^)

gayle said...

Terrific quilts! Your orphans quilt looks like summertime captured in fabric!

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE your Bermuda Sunrise quilt! Thanks for the pattern link and for sharing that Orphan Block quilt, too. Your Scrap Bin in Blue quilt is lovely, too!!