We receive many yards of donated fabrics and try to find patterns that work with the fabrics we receive. The fat quarter bins are overflowing, so I set out to find some easy, free fat quarter patterns. I started with 2 different sets of 12 fat quarters. This first quilt is the small lap-quilt size Fat Quarter Fizz from the Fat Quarter Shop website.
I quilted loops in the rectangles and funky flowers in the squares.
I used up the remaining fat quarters and some extra fabrics from my stash for the backing. I cut one binding strip from each fat quarter as I cut the primary pieces. The only downside of this pattern for our purposes is the size: it is 48 inches wide, so the backing must be pieced. We try to make most of our kit quilts 38-40" wide so the backing can be a single piece of fabric.
With my next set of 12 fat quarters, I made this triple square quilt. I found inspiration and instructions here, but I modified it slightly. My center squares are cut 5", the first border is cut 2.5" and the second border is cut 3". This gave me 13" finished blocks, and I could cut a binding strip from each fat quarter as well. Overall size 39" x 52", no piecing required for the backing.
Even though piecing the backing was not required, I found several flannel pieces to combine for a cozy scrappy back.
One other fun comfort quilt completion was this Hoffman Supernova panel. Adding stars in the border gave it a perfect finish!
Linking up with Moving it Forward where I always find lots of great inspiration!
2 comments:
I love the colours in your comfort quilt! So pretty I'd never guess it was donated fabric.
Post a Comment