Friday, February 13, 2009

Crumbs and Strings


My overflowing string bin was calling out my name to use some strings! Sewing some of my strings and crumbs together has been very relaxing as I use a spare moment here and there, so I am building up a pile of blocks and trying to empty my bin (that may be impossible, however!) I've seen some great pictures of crumb quilts on blogs, (like this beauty), and I'm inspired to complete one of my own. I've finished about 40 8" blocks ... I'll decide the size of the quilt when I can glimpse the bottom of my bin.


Our guild had a comfort quilt workshop this week and it was terrific to have a room full of 50+ women making quilts for others. I brought this small scots plaid quilt (an abandoned ufo) all quilted and ready for binding, so I finished the first quilt of the day. I had cut lots of squares and rectangles to make a large quilt in this pattern several years ago, but it just never caught my interest again, so I used some of the rectangles to add a piano key border and called it done. Nice to have off to be used and loved.

I have a few small projects to finish with a strict deadline ... FSQS-5 and SFRR3, they are all completed in my mind, but not in reality yet. I've a few weeks left, so I must set aside the strings sometime soon and finish them. I'm also inspired by the Bushfire Quilt Project to make a few maverick stars for those who have lost so much in Austraila. It sounds like a wonderful crew of quilters are working together to help others.

5 comments:

Brenda said...

fun blocks. I love playing with strings -- its doubly satisfying because it uses up little bits and pieces and the blocks finish quickly. I like your Scot's Plaid -- I've made 110 blocks in that pattern, but I haven't sewn them together. Now thanks to you I have a preview.

Unknown said...

I love what you are doing! The scraps are fantastic and a great way to use them up.

Tonya Ricucci said...

your crumbs are great - very fun!

Purple Pam said...

Those crumb blocks are so much fun to make. Yours are especially super. I love the bright colors. When I get started making them, I cannot stop.

Judy D in WA said...

Crumbs and strings, to me, are free fabric. I don't have to buy anything to make a quilt. :-) I love, love, love this one. Isn't it fun to look at it and say oh, that fabric came from.......
Good Job!