Although I have no major completions this week, I have found some time to work on this and that. I spent a few hours using my friend's longarm and got my daughter's "sewing room bits" top quilted. I have the binding sewn on the front, now I just need to hand stitch it to the back. I also quilted a small comfort quilt and have the binding stitched on for our next guild meeting. This bordered blocks quilt with a school print in the centers was a comfort quilt I finished last month. The bordered blocks is my current favorite comfort quilt pattern - it works up quickly and is a nice showcase for fun kid prints.
This pieced top was formerly a small travel pillow in my grandmother's car. She usually didn't do fancy patterns, but just rectangles of varied sizes nicely arranged. In her later years, she was always making small lap quilts or kids pajamas to donate to the local hospital. My father had used the pillow in his car for a number of years, but he gave it to me last year to fix up. There were several rectangles which were only shreads, and all of the fabrics are very faded from sitting in the back seat of the car. Some fabrics on the back side are still rather vivid. I found some old fabrics which blended well and replaced the worn out patches. I decided I would do some simple hand quilting and make this into a doll quilt / table topper. The remaining fabrics are a bit frail to be used in a pillow. The old patterns and designs make me think of my grandmother and I'd to have it in my sewing room.
No comments:
Post a Comment