Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mailbox Treat!


I received this wonderful green spring quilt in my mailbox yesterday - it is so lovely and such a treat to find something fun in my box. Thanks so much to Gabriele to her beautiful work and Margaret for organizing a great swap!


I also have finished a few things ... the Neil Armstrong astronaut suit is ready for my son's presentation tomorrow. I thought of a clever way to make the NASA and Apollo 11 patches by copying photos I found online, printing them onto fabric, fusing the fabric to interfacing and doing a satin zig-zag stitch around the edge. Not as bright as official badges, but just fine for a 5 minute presentation. Perhaps he'll wear it for Halloween as well.


I added my daughters name to a quilt I finished up for her which contains her favorite cast-offs from my sewing room. Orphan blocks, favorite fabrics, cut-up panels, just things that caught her fancy. I love making Tonya's free-pieced letters, although I have not made that many of them. I made one for Linus which she really liked and wished for one of her own. It's about 60" by 80" and I'll quilt it next week on my friend's gammill.


I got a bit carried away making example pillowcases this week! I taught a mom-and-me sewing bee class last night at our local Park & Rec and everyone made pillowcases for their bed. It was so great to see all the combinations the girls came up with. Lots of lace, but also lots of cozy blue flannel plaids, so everyone was happy with the choices from the donated fabric box. Next week we will make mother/daughter aprons (only girls signed up this time.) I'm sending my sample pillowcases off to Alicia for her QOV project, it felt good to use up some fabrics that never fit into other projects.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That costume looks fantastic! What a great mom you are to make such a wonderful costume for his presentation. Everything else looks great too. The pillowcases are fabulous. Our guild is also busy collecting pillowcases for the Hole in The Wall Gang Camp. I have been collecting them and have tons to give to that charity. The kids really appreciate them. They are fun to make too!

Sharon said...

The astronaut suit is so cute! I'm sure your son will look wonderful. What a great mom! And very clever, to come up with the patches for the suit!
The quilt for your daughter is great too. That's cool that she picked out all the parts and pieces for it. Good job on the letters too!

Dionne said...

The costume you made looks great! Your solution for the patches was inspired and brilliant!
Cheers,
Dionne
PS - love the pillowcases, great class! Did you have to supply the sewing machines?