Friday, June 5, 2009

Bound at Last


I finally finished the binding on this 16-patch quilt inspired by Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston's book Collaborative Quilting. It's a large throw size, and I like it, although I think I need more contrast between the setting triangles and the 16-patch blocks. It was fun to find bits and pieces of all my brights for the blocks. I also did my first attempt at feathers with my friend's Gammill ... they need lots of work, but I still like how they look.


I also tried out the no triangle zig-zag quilt tutorial. I ran out of the bright music background fabric, so it ended up short several rows and square. My daughter and I laughed together as we laid out the squares on the floor trying to get the zig and zag correct. This will be tied by my Linus group, and I hope the cozy square shape and bright colors will cheer up a child.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

fun quilts. I've been wanting to try the zig zag quilt myself. you might want to try a couple of borders top and bottom to get it bigger, but its also fine the way it is.

Unknown said...

Love the quilts and I just love that book! Great job!

Mom said...

the first quilt is just wonderful!

Leanne said...

Love that collaborative quilt (and the others, too!). I've been cutting scraps and ended up with lots of 2.5 inch squares... now that's an idea, eh? If only I could figure out how to make the right size triangles on the edge!!
Love your work!