Saturday, July 11, 2009

More Projects in Progress



At long last I have moved forward on my piece from the Scarlett Rose workshop at our guild last fall. I finished the knotwork with enthusiasm, but then was stumped with the applique flowers, which did not inspired me. I always find applique a big hurdle, although once the pieces are prepped I enjoy the process. After the project aged in my sewing room for several months, I pulled it out and my daughter helped me choose the fabrics for the flowers. I decided to do fusible applique in a simplified flower design so it would actually get finished. My daughter wants it for her wall, and I'm enthused again to do echo quilting during our travels this summer. It is 20" square, perfect for taking along.



The expected baby boy in our extended family was born last week, so I added the label and sent off this zig zag quilt - it's bright and simple and I like how it turned out. I found a great fabric for the back and I used it on a few of the front triangles as well.

I also got started on a TATW quilt for a local boys shelter - our guild is donating several twin sized quilts with boy themes. Bonnie Hunter's strip method is easy and looks great! This is the third one I've made from her pattern. I found the space and galaxy fabric, and pulled a number of colorful prints to coordinate - I will quilt it later this summer when I get over to use my friend's gammill.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

The two kids' quilts look great. I haven't tried the Zig Zag pattern yet, but it looks like fun. And the TATW is a fun pattern to do. Easy.

However, your knotwork/applique piece is just stunning! I love it! Apparently, it aged just right!

Eileen said...

I have always loved trip around the world, and have made several of them. But I never tried strip piecing them! Probably a lot faster. Yours is very pretty!

Mom said...

that applique is amazing. I had to save it so I might copy the pattern someday~