Saturday, March 16, 2019

Many, many green rectangles

My green dancing stars are still waiting to be sewn together, but I felt the need to attack my large bag of green strips and strings. I've made two quilts lately with scrappy rail blocks, but I decided to try the long rows of rectangles demonstrated in the Rockin' Rectangles On Line tutorial. I cut my strips 9 - 9.5" long and then squared up the rows to 8.5" wide. My definition of green is pretty broad, any green component to the print counts in my book. I like the wide range of shades I found in my scraps. I think I will insert these 4 green-in-neutral dancing stars in between the rows. Making five strips of green rectangles finally made a good dent in my green scraps!



Some of these greens are from projects long, long ago!


This plus quilt is another recent finish. Almost all of the fabrics are left over from last year's college quilts. Many are fabrics I used on the backs, and some from the front. I cut the 3.5" x 9.5" rectangles and 3.5" squares over a year ago and kept adding to them as I finished projects and had backing edges. It was fun to pull out the bin and have enough to almost finish the quilt, just had to cut a few more. It ended up 45" x 57", a nice size for the kids at the camp where our guild donates. The camper fabric on the back I found on sale and I just love the cute look it adds to the back!






Check out the other wonderful green creations at the RSC!



4 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

I really like your loose interpretation of GREEN!! I also really like your newly completed donation quilt. Scale is SEW challenging when looking at a photo! I thought your quilt was a mini or wall hanging size.

Sheila said...

Love your blocks and quilt. Cute backing. Perfect for camp. Congratulations on a great finish : )

Cathy said...

Great ideas and great quilts! I think I should do the same thing with all my leftover green scraps. So many scraps, so little time!

Kate said...

Congrats on making a dent in your green scraps, that has to feel good. You've got some great projects in the works.