Friday, February 5, 2021

Digging Into Yellows

Yellow is such a happy color! However, when I started digging through my stash, I found many more golds and tans than bright yellows. I thew them into the mix for my scrappy trip around the world blocks. 


The deep snowdrift on my back porch was a perfect background for the yellow.

I picked through my collection of scrappy churn dash blocks (made last spring) for any that contained some yellow. I then used some of my bigger yellow scraps to make some more blocks for a total of 20. They will combine for a nice donation quilt.


I also recently finished some donation quilts using bricks. Sometimes when I look at a pile of random fabrics I want to clear out, I find the 4" x 8" bricks are just the right size to use up strips from trimming the backs and other big-ish pieces. I have made this Free Brick Quilt Pattern a number of times.



This donation quilt finished at 40" x 56".

This collection of bricks featured sample fabrics from "Cats & Dogs" by Sarah Golden and Andover fabrics. The distribution of lights and darks did not seem suited to the staggered pattern, so I just alternated direction of two bricks sewn together.
 


A fun "Love the Earth" panel from Virginia Kraljevic and Windham Fabrics was perfect for the back. This donation quilt finished at 40" x 56".


 

10 comments:

Bonnie said...

Great stash busting quilts. Thanks for sharing the pattern. I think I've seen it before but don't think I've ever used it. Yours shows it works quite well with various prints. I haven't approached my yellows yet but I don't think I have tons of them and probably not enough really scrappy fabric to use. Wait, wouldn't a half used fat quarter count as scraps? Of course it would -- I may be on to something then! Off to yellow scraps

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh How I really like those yellow blocks!! against the snow - they are so colorful - And your churn dash'es - beautiful!!!

Karen's Korner said...

Lots of lovely scrappy prjects happening at your place. Nice work.

Preeti said...

Happy sunshine blocks, perfectly showcased against the snowy background.

maggie fellow said...

they look so lovely

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I really like that brick pattern! I definitely have cut-offs from backings that I could use for those bricks. Great idea!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Nice quilts and blocks for donation! Thanks for the link to the bricks pattern, I'm loving the way the bricks are set.

scraphappy said...

Great work on making donation quilts and clearing out the stash. Perfect combination!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fun YELLOW blocks, cute quilts... Nice job!!

Marsha Cooper said...

Yellow is my favorite color. I like to stick to one project for the year with the soscrappy. I'm giving hexagons a go again year.