Thursday, January 15, 2009

Fun Free Piecing

Our guild is having a February challenge to make a quilt that reminds you of the first line of a song. I've been thinking of doing something on and off since last spring when the challenge was announced, but kept having different ideas and never starting anything. My dh suggested a song and he was urging me to give it a try, and the other night I got inspired to try. Here are pictures of my "young girls", "young men" and "soldiers" ... any idea what the song is?




I need some flowers and gravestones. Any idea yet? It's "Where Have All the Flowers Gone", and I really had fun with the girls, men and soldiers. The tiny American flag fabric I found for the soldier background is perfect and I think helps tell that those guys are supposed to be soldiers. It will be a wall-hanging size, and I should be able to get it done in time now that I've got a good start.

I saw the great free form star tutorial on Belinda's blog and thought I'd post a picture of some free form stars I made a while ago. Mine are a bit bigger than hers, about 7" or so. It's really fun to not worry about points matching just so.


However, I have been working on my purple FSQS-5 and I did want the points to match on that one. They are pretty close. Now I just need to decide on how I'm going to quilt it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like all your projects! I am a big 30's fan myself and love your stars.

Browndirtcottage said...

Wendy...your stars are GREAT! I love what you are doing with them. It is a good example to others on how to use them!!

Patty said...

Hi, I found your blog through a link.

The little people blocks you made are amazing; especially the girls! How did you do it? If I were to do a search for a tutorial how would I title the link? Is it paper piecing?

Patty

Carol E. said...

I love all of these!! I had just figured out it was "where have all the flowers gone" when I got to the sentence... cool challenge! Love your stars, and that purple quilt is fabulously awesome!!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

your people came out great - very fun.