Saturday, January 3, 2009

Knocking some things off my list ...



I've been getting some stitching done in between our family activities with the kids home from school. I had several sets of novelty squares that I bordered and set together for Linus tops ... my mom found the embroidered squares at a thrift shop and they should cheer up some child at the hospital. They are slightly funky, and not fine embroidery, but they are fun.



My son spied an unfinished quilt top in my box that he would like on his bed - I'm always pleased when my kids wish for something. However, he would like a red and black checkerboard on the back side so he can play checkers or chess on his bed when the mood strikes. A cute idea. I think I'll make big 4" squares for the checkerboard, and then border it in something plain. That will make it easier to center on the back of the twin-sized quilt. My son initially suggested making the entire back 4" squares, but that seems a bit like overkill, or at least more than I cared to do.

I also finally tried a fuax log cabin pattern that I had bookmarked years ago (http://www.geocities.com/quiltfrenzy_archives/faux-logcabin.html). I had a set of mauve / maroon fq from a donation to our Linus chapter (very 1980's and not really my style), but they were perfect to try out the pattern and it worked up quite well. I may try this again with fabrics more to my taste. This will be another quilt for our Linus chapter.


Here's a picture of the Christmas jammies ... the rocket fleece was a hit. However, the fuzzy gown was made of the extra-plush fleece I found at JoAnn's. It was a bear to sew (with fuzz all over the room) and it seems to be irritating my daughter's skin, even after several washings. So, I'm afraid it won't be worn much. Such cute fabric, but I guess not great next to her skin.

2 comments:

Carol E. said...

Wow, you've been getting a lot done! Isn't it great when our kids want something we've made?! Those embroidered squares will make a very cute Linus quilt.

Dionne said...

You've been busy! I love the PJs, too bad the gown won't work after all that effort, perhaps a good item for donation.

Love your work!
Cheers,
Dionne