Thursday, May 14, 2020

National Park Fan

I have always loved our National Parks. Every summer we took our children to at least one, and often we would combine several National Parks in our plans. I grew up in the Northwest, and enjoyed spending time in the mountains and the outdoors. When I saw the National Park fabric line by Riley Blake I couldn't resist. I bought panels of Mt. Rainier, Zion and Smoky Mountains last year, but I had no particular plan. (I purchased the panels here but they are available many places.) However, my plan is falling into place.

I put Mt Rainier panels on the back of the two memory shirt quilts for my nephews. They live in the Northwest and see Mt Rainier daily if the weather cooperates. My dad also enjoyed time on Mt. Rainier and seeing the mountain out on a beautiful day.


I finished the quilting and binding on both of the shirt memory quilts. One is quilted with a square spiral, the other with organic lines and loops. Hopefully the USPS will take care and get them to their destination soon!






Next on my National Park quilt list was to combine some of the wonky trees I started last year with one of the panels. The Great Smoky Mountains seemed the appropriate choice. Amy Smart has a great tutorial on trees for her Patchwork Forest quilt. I had to add a few strips to make things come out even, but it was fun to use lots of browns, greens and yellows from my stash.



 I quilted with a single loop, while adding some wishbone quilting to the trees. This quilt will probably be donated, because of course I don't really need another quilt in my house.


While the large panels are great, I recently learned that a panel with 60 small National Park images is available. I was excited when it arrived in the mail this week,  looking at all the images and remembering trips past. I am pondering ideas in which I cut up the rectangles and add pieced blocks. Stay tuned!


Linking up to Whoop Whoop Friday where there are many fun finishes!








3 comments:

Fabric Fanatic said...

Beautiful National Parks quilts. Can you share where you found the one with brick-like images of all the parks?

LES is More said...

I got the panel of the US map with all the parks marked on it, with a border of the posters. I will be giving it to my son who has gone to many of the parks and loves camping. I love the wonky trees!

patty a. said...

The two memory quilts are fabulous! Would you mind sharing what size you cut the red squares? I have a pile of my late father's clothes and I need to get some quilts made for some family members. This design would really be the ticket! Thanks!