Friday, May 1, 2020

Shirts and Memories


This week I started creating memory quilts and pillows from my father's shirts. He passed away in April of 2018, and it took awhile before cutting up his shirts invoked good memories rather than sad ones. I have two nephews who live near my father's home and grew up very close to him. I am making throw size quilts (these tops are 50" x 58") for each of these young men. I included fabric and patches from my dad's cub scout and boy scout shirts from the 1940's.



These 18" throw pillows are for my brothers, my step-mother and one for me. I mixed an matched squares and rectangles in the pillow tops, including at least one piece of each shirt in each pillow. I used large pieces of the shirt backs for the backs of the pillows.


After I get the quilts finished, I will make some special labels for both the quilts and the pillows.


This week I finished quilting and binding this sailboat quilt which uses a fun border fabric. This will be donated.




I also quilted and bound my RWB Elvira quilt. I did an edge-to-edge square spiral design. This will go to the state QOV coordinator whenever it is safe to make presentations again.

Linking to Sarah for a Whoop Whoop Finish! Lots of wonderful inspiration there!


5 comments:

Preeti said...

That is is so sweet. I can totally understand your reluctance to cut up your dad' shirts. I grieved for my dad for almost a year. I love how you have combined the red and yellow fabrics to brighten the shirt pieces. Your nephews will love them.
Elvira looks lovely and so do the sail ships. But the memory quilts are my favorite. Sending big squishy hugs to you from a safe distance away.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Hi Wendy! I was especially interested in seeing your Elvira since I made one, also, like 16,000 other quilters! Are you making Hope on Sunday! I'm planning on it.

Thanks for commenting on my blog. Sorry I can't reply directly as your email comes up as

The Joyful Quilter said...

Awesome batch of projects! Those special memory items are sure to be loved. Congrats on your Elvira finish!

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

What a wonderful idea! The quilts are beautiful as well as the pillows. I really like the pattern you used on the quilts.
I wish I had my Dad's shirts to do that, but I was not a quilter back in 1982 and never thought to ask for his shirts.

Ramona said...

The quilts and pillows made from your dad's shirts are beautiful. I especially like the design of the quilt with the solid squares you added. I, also, was not a quilter when my dad died in 2002. In fact, his death, and me needing to do something with my hands, is what brought me to quilting. :)