Thursday, May 21, 2020

Scrappy Hexagons

I have been intrigued by hexagon quilts, both large and small, for awhile.  Since half hexagons can be sewed in rows with no y-seams, I decided to try that with some scraps. I pulled some assorted blue scraps and started with 4.5" strips. Then I used my 60 degree ruler to cut half-hexagons. Little pieces from the ends of my strips were perfect for the partial hexagons at the row ends. Really, the only tricky part is taking care to keep all the pieces in the proper order.
 

Freehand quilting with a swirl and curvy echo.


Finished size 50" x 56", this quilt will be donated.

Next I pulled out some pink scraps and made a baby sized hexagon quilt.


Quilted with a heart and loop meander.


Finished size 37" x 40". This will be donated to Little Lambs,
one of this year's Hands 2 Help recipients.


Since our state is beginning to open up, I finished up my Stay Safe at Home flimsy. It is just the right size for a tall wall space in my home. I made my first house block when we picked our kids up from college on March 14. I made one house each day, sometimes from a fabric that reflected my day, sometimes from a fabric tossed on my cutting table. I found making a daily house rather therapeutic, so I am going to keep making them for Stay Home Quilt #2. The two tree blocks finished out this week.


Quilt size: 21" x 50"


Linking up with Whoop Whoop Friday!

No comments: